Gemstones are a blessing of Mother Nature given to humans to seek the planetary blessings by attracting their energies. Not only stones can qualify as a gemstone. For any particular gemstone to reach that grade, it has to show three attributes namely- precious, rare and durable.
However, if we go by that logic, it will mean that all the gemstones will have an infinite life if they are properly stored and are free from any damage. Now it might not be exactly correct to say that gemstones have a lifespan, but it can definitely be said that they have a period of maximum effectiveness for attracting planetary energies and other astrological benefits.
So what is it that determines the maximum effectiveness of a gemstone:
It is said that the secret of the real quality of the gemstone lies in its weight. This is what goes to decide how much power it will initially have i.e. before it is worn by anybody.
The effectiveness of any particular gemstone is also defined by the amount of strength of any particular planet that is needed by the native. For instance, if you need to wear the Blue Sapphire, you need to get a detailed analysis of your birth chart and the planetary position of Saturn in the same. Only then you can find out the right weight for your gemstone. Hence, more the power that is required by the native, the lesser will be the strength and longevity of the gemstone as per astrology. So, if it ever occurred to you that can you wear used gemstones, and then you now know that as they lose their strength and longevity, used gemstones shall not give the astrological benefits.
It is believed by scholars that the following gemstones have effectiveness as follows:
- Diamond: 10 years
- Ruby/ Manik: 12 years
- Yellow Sapphire/ Pukhraj: 15 years
- Blue Sapphire/ Neelam: 15 years
- Emerald/ Panna: 12 years
- Coral, Hessonite Garnet and Cat’s Eye: 3 to 5 years
- Natural Pearl: 12 years
All the other uparatnas and other semi-precious alternate gemstones are said to have a lifespan of 3 years.
Remember the time of the gemstone will offer maximum benefits when it has an extremely powerful life expectancy. A lot also depends on the way you take care of the gemstone. It has been observed that many people often forget about their gemstone after they adorn it either in their finger in a ring or in a pendant. However, they need maintenance to remain effective and in their original pristine condition. Every gemstone is basically a mineral that has a certain reaction to the heat, light, and acid as each of them differs in hardness or toughness.
Precious gemstones can be largely divided into two groups in terms of their durability and lifespan.
- The first group comprising the Ruby, Emerald, all varieties of Sapphire, Hessonite Garnet, and Diamond has a long lifespan. This is also a transparent group. As they are worn, over a period of time, these transparent gems lose their high polishing and start to get scratches on its surface, which may stop the sunrays to pass through the gems. As they are worn, over time a greasy layer starts to deposit on their surface. This is probably a mixture of oils, lubricants and other materials that you come in contact with it. As the deposition starts to get thicker, it even blocks the rays that they receive from the planets. Thus, although there is no life of gemstones, yes their effectiveness for astrological purposes falls. Hence proper and regular maintenance is important.
- The Pearl and the Red Coral, which are also known as organic gems, form the second type. This is also an opaque group. These need more care as they are formed under the sea and not crystals formed from primary or secondary deposits. These types of gemstones are often porous and great care has to be taken while cleaning as they can absorb the chemicals.
There is no such expiry date of gemstones but yes they do have effectiveness that can get hurt with time. Also, how long do gemstones take to work or show astrological benefits will depend on the quality, purity, origin, and prescription, though there may be different opinions. We, at Gemkart, have always adhered to great gemstone quality as we bring you the best gemstones directly from the mines. You may visit our website or just give us a call and we will help you with all your queries.